Friday, June 26, 2009

Thing #11 Library Thing

My Library Thing

This link is the permanent link to my Libray Thing site where I cataloged 16 books (mostly Jan Karon's Mitford series because I could look them up easily without getting out of my chair). I checked out two other users who had some of these books in their list. This is an interesting concept that I had seen before but had not taken the time to examine closely. I'm thinking of several uses for it right now--our ladies' Bible study group, our small church library, my sister-in-law's extensive collection, etc.

I did add a feed to a YA group (although I didn't actually join the group) and I discovered that you can spend hours just looking through comments and clicking on the topic and reading the whole thread. And then you see a book that sounds good and you click on its cover and off you go to another page. That's my problem--one thing leads to another and I forget what I was doing originally. But I still learned something on my journey. I had not heard of a series that boys will like called Cherub--doesn't really sound like a boy "thing" does it. Then there was a neat idea mentioned by someone in a middle school where they asked the boys to check out girl-type books (like Twilight) and girls to check out boy-type books (like sports or adventure) and then have some class discussions. That sounded kind of fun (although sexist I guess). In fact, there were lots of boys that were interested in the Twilight books in my library.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get to this Thing. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. Now I will have a good reason to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you talking about Library Thing--was that last year or the year before. So much to keep track of. You know this might be a way that Jo could join us because she reads so much and could give us some reviews on her own time and we could read them as we get to it. I think we'd have to retire to keep up with all of this.

    ReplyDelete