Sunday, July 5, 2009

Thing #16 Wikis

I knew about wikis and had even visited some wiki sites, but I guess I just hadn't thought about what a versatile tool these could be. I visited the St. Joseph subject guides link and explored out to find some usable sites for our new American history teacher, additional web resources for our Career Investigation teachers, and possibly some new ways to stay abreast of current events for UIL students. I would have not thought about these being wikis, though, unless I accessed them from 23 Things. I should have been able to realize this, I guess, because these sites do have the option to be edited by others.

There are 116 tutorials on wikis on Atomic Learning (43 if you limit it to PCs). Since I am interested in learning to use Moodle, I was glad to be reminded that you can create wiki pages within Moodle for a cooperative class project that can be edited by multiple users. I also watched several of the tutorial movies on wikis in the Web. 2.0 section. I'll have to go back to that later.


In thinking about what use I could make for a wiki in my school, I've thought about a wiki for our technology committee and also a wiki for student book reviews. Another idea for a wiki might be scheduling the library, the library lab, and the laptop cart. That would make the schedule instantly available to all teachers even if they didn't have time to run down to the library. (I think I'll email this idea to myself right now!)

I copied and pasted an idea into the Spring Branch sandbox. Wikis can be used in endless ways.

1 comment:

  1. I am still on Thing 12 but I decided to comment on your post about wikis. I am a BIG fan of wikis because they are so incredibly easy to create and manipulate. I presented at a math conference and relied on my wiki for my presentation notes. It was much easier than a power point. I will be using another wikispaces wiki to host an online book club for kids this coming fall. http://kids-book-club.wikispaces.com/ I am just getting it started, but it is so much fun to do.

    ReplyDelete