Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thing #22 Things--Nings

This quote from 7 Things About Nings is the most meaningful to me since it relates to learning:

By creating social networks around academic topics, or even about specific
projects for a course, an instructor can facilitate a strong sense of
community among the students, encouraging personal interactions that can
lead to the creation of new knowledge and collective intelligence.

I located the following video about "smart searching" on Shonda Brisco's Ning for Texas School Librarians. It was created by Naomi Bates. These are two librarians whose name I recognized from the TLC listserve.




Google Smart Search Formula - Watch more free videos

Nings combine photos, videos, blogs, forums...for a specific interest group. I wasn't particularly interested in the member list since I didn't know the members but I figure you would get to know the other members online and be able to network with others who are in similar situations. Although we get input from Texas librarians on the TLC listserve, the ning offers a way to share video book talks and ways to promote your library. These are definitely useful things to a librarian who is by nature not very creative in these areas.

I joined the Texas School Librarians Ning; here's my badge:

Visit Texas School Librarians

No comments:

Post a Comment