Sunday, July 5, 2009

Thing #17 Rollyo

I created a Rollyo account for our school to search for current events news. I added it to my blog page as an html gadget. I'm not sure I even remember how I did it, but it seems to be working.
I used some pre-existing searchrolls to create my current events roll--Top News, News & Media, etc. However, I have it also searching my blog for news and I didn't really intend to do that. I haven't been able to figure out how to get that off.

Using the gadget on my blog page, I entered a search term and experimented with the results depending on the drop down menu choices. When I searched the whole web, I got hits from Wikipedia and other non-expert sites. When I chose to limit to Top News sites, I got CNN, etc. but no Wikipedia articles. I see possibilities for this kind of filtered searching.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting, Linda. Maybe this is something we can develop for UIL current events. I'm looking forward to exploring the possibilities when I get to Thing #17.

    ReplyDelete